6/06/2013

SQL 2012 AutoAdvance Install

I had reason today to configure a command line install via a Configuration File and thought I'd document the process. The specific reason is after I ran through the UI install, my install failed due to the following:
Error while enabling Windows feature : NetFx3, Error Code : –2146498298 , Please try enabling Windows Feature : NetFx3 from Windows management tools and then run setup again. 
As an aside the above error isn't entirely helpful as NetFx3 isn't part of a standard Windows 2012 install and cannot simply be enabled under features. More on how to get NetFx3 installed here: http://garvis.ca/2013/01/04/installing-netfx3-on-windows-server-2012/

I prefer the AutoAdvance install (UIMODE=AutoAdvance) over a quite install because I can still make changes in the UI during the process and I also see error messages, should they arise.

The first thing I did after canceling the UI install was to grab the ConfigurationFile that was created during install from the default location "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\...\ConfigurationFile.ini"

I then made the following modifications to the ConfigurationFile:
Verified my SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS
Added IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS = "True"
Removed ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN
Verified INSTALLSHAREDDIR
Verified INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR
Verified INSTANCEDIR
Verified FEATURES UIMODE=AutoAdvance
Added AGTSVCPASSWORD="mypassword"
Added ASSVCPASSWORD="mypassword"
Added SQLSVCPASSWORD="mypassword"
Added ISSVCPASSWORD="mypassword"
Added RSSVCPASSWORD="mypassword"
Added SAPWD="mypassword" *Required when SECURITYMODE=SQL
Finally I re-ran the install from the command prompt:
"<path to SQL setup folder>\setup.exe" /ConfigurationFile="<path to config file>"

Because there are passwords in the ConfigurationFile be sure to permanently delete it once you're done.

My two resources for setting up the install are here:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/113480/SQL-Server-2008-R2-Unattended-Silent-Install
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx
push to top

No comments:

Post a Comment